Monday, February 22, 2016

Why I Workout

Why, on Gods green earth would anyone subject themselves to 30-60 minutes of sweaty torture in a room full of people enduring the same torture??!!

Cuz its fun!!

People workout for many reasons.  Some exercise to get big (aka bulk up).  Some use fitness to get skinny (shred).  Others for something functional (a sport for instance).  Why do I do it?  First and foremost, I love it!  Let's face it, you can't stick with anything unless you at least like it - right?  I love the feeling after a good strength or cardio session.  Coming back from the gym and hitting the hot shower - there's nothing like it. It sets me up for the day with a boatload of energy. There are also many other reasons why I do it.

First let me provide a basic overview of what I do.  Short and sweet.  Cardio three times a week.  Strength three times a week as well.  Now that's vague.  Allow me to be more specific. Cardio can range from a nice steady-state 30 minute bike or run to high intensity interval training (HIIT) for 20 mins.  I love HIIT.  It's only 20 minutes but wow what a workout.  The strength days consist of a complex circuit.  Huh?  I do two three-exercise circuits which consist of upper-body, lower-body and core exercises.  For example I'll do 3 rounds of say, pushups (upper), squats (lower) and crunches (core) for 9 sets.  Then I'll do 3 rounds of pullups, lunges and mountain climbers for 9 sets for a total of 18 sets. Takes me about 20 minutes.  Great workout!!  All this is capped off with 10-15 minutes of yoga.

Now back to the reasons for working out.  Other than the fact that its fun, physical activity allows me to be active (duh).  It's that simple.  Keep moving and you'll be able to do anything.  

Working out also keeps me away from the meds.  I lived my life watching my father take med after med, each one having a new side-effect on his body that required yet another med.  I vowed to never be like that.  Exercise and eating right is helping me down that path.

Then there is the longevity thing.  I'm not sure if hitting the gym will help you live longer.  If the Grim Reaper is going to tap you on the shoulder, he's going to tap you on the shoulder - no matter what the age.  But, when he gives me that tap, I want to be in good shape :-)

Thanks for reading
-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment